Team Leader: Mr J. Rawling
- Biology, the study of life and living things
- Chemistry, the study of chemicals and reactions
- Physics, the study of forces, electricity, space and gravity
Pupils will learn about how their bodies work and how the world works around us. We combine theory and practical skills to enable pupils to leave school with an understanding of the world, together with team working skills, investigative skills, plus the ability to apply knowledge to new situations and carry out risk assessments.
Science is at the centre of every aspect of our lives and the ability to make sense of our lives and making informed decisions is essential. As well as gaining an understanding of Biology, Chemistry and Physics pupils will learn about investigative work and the use and interpretation of data.
Key Stage 3:
At KS3, pupils study a wide range of topics covering the human body, chemical reactions including acids and alkalis, plus forces and electricity. The teaching of investigative skills is embedded as part of the curriculum. There are end-of-topic assessments plus assessed tasks within each topic and pupils are given regular feedback as to how to achieve their target levels.
Year 7 topics include:
- Investigation Skills
- Cells, Tissues & Organs
- Atoms, Elements and Compounds
- Mixtures and Separation
- Animal and Plant Reproduction
Year 8 topics include:
- Microbes and Disease
- Breathing & Respiration
- Acids and Alkalis
- Periodic Table
- Magnets, Electromagnets and Heat
- Light and Sound
Key Stage 4:
Pupils can choose one of the following routes:
- AQA GCSE Combined Science (Trilogy) covering elements of Biology, Chemistry and Physics, leading to a double Award GCSE
- AQA GCSE Biology, GCSE Chemistry and GCSE Physics (leading to 3 separate GCSEs)
Here is a recommended wider reading list for KS4 pupils.
How to support pupil learning:
- The Science VLE pages have a wealth of material to support pupils’ home learning, including PowerPoints and worksheets from lessons, plus links to external websites that aid revision.
- BBC Bitesize for KS3 and KS4 is also recommended: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/
- KS4 intervention sessions are hosted by members of the Science team, but attendance in lessons is key to success.
- In KS4 Revision Guides are available to order and purchase from the Prep Room.