Team Leader: Mrs K. Galloway
Our department aims to deliver quality teaching and learning for all pupils studying French and Spanish. We have high expectations of our learners and value both their achievement and enjoyment in Modern Foreign Languages. Our goal is to create successful independent language learners with a wider view of the world ready to make valuable contributions to the global community.
All pupils study either French or Spanish from Year 7 and continue this language through to GCSE.
The MFL Department endeavours to:
- enable pupils to understand written/ spoken Spanish and/ or French and give them access to authentic texts and realistic experiences
- give pupils the confidence to take part in conversations on a variety of topics and in a variety of situations in the target language through role-play, discussion and presentation
- teach the skills to write for a variety of purposes in the target language
- provide pupils with useful translation tools for both real life situations and literary texts
- give pupils an understanding of the cultures of the Spanish and French speaking world
- inspire pupils to go on to study languages after they leave school and use their skills to learn new languages
Key Stage 3:
Year 7 topics include: describing yourself and where you live, talking about life at school, hobbies, family life and life where you live.
Year 8 topics include: holidays, food, fashion and home life.
Key Stage 4:
We follow the AQA specification for both French and Spanish. Lessons remain focussed on listening, reading, writing and speaking, with a strong emphasis on grammar and the ability to manipulate language. When studying for a GCSE in a foreign language, pupils are expected to routinely consolidate their learning at home in order to reinforce what they are learning in school.
There are three compulsory themes that pupils study during the GCSE course. These themes are examined through exams at the end of Year 11 in each of the four language skills:
- Reading exam – 25%
- Listening exam – 25%
- Speaking exam – 25%
- Writing exam – 25%
Here is a recommended wider reading list for KS4 pupils.
How to support pupil learning:
MFL Learning resources – Studio and Viva textbooks