Welcome and meet the team!
Welcome to Kettlethorpe High School!
Moving from primary school to Kettlethorpe High School is an exciting time and one we hope you are looking forward to. We are working closely with your primary school and Year 6 teacher to collect the information we need to ensure your transition to Kettlethorpe High School is as smooth as possible.
We hope that this within this section of our school website, you will find lots of information that will help you prepare for your learning journey and help you to feel confident that you know more about the next steps. We hope you find this information useful and look forward to showing you what your new school has to offer.
||Mrs V Shute
||Mr R Douglas
Key Stage 3 Achievement Leader
||Mrs H Bennett SENCO
Our main communication will be via email and Edulink, we will share details of this later in the summer term. Please ensure we have an up to date email address and contact information.
Contact information: email email@example.com for any queries or questions.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming our new Year 7 pupils on Thursday 7th July 2022. Children need to arrive between 8.30 and 8.40am where they will be met and directed by our staff. They need to wear their primary school uniform. During the day, they will experience ‘taster’ lessons, meet their new form tutor/group, and have lunch. They will be dismissed at 2.40pm.
Please read our letter sent out to parents and carers from Transition lead Mrs Shute
In the evening, parents/carers will have a chance to meet their children’s form tutors too. This will take place as a face to face event at our school and parents need to arrive at the main entrance by 6.20pm. Following a short presentation from the tutors, you will have an opportunity to ask any questions. Please note that pupils or siblings should not attend this event.
We are very much looking forward to seeing you all.
Preparing for Year 7
For parents/carers, we have our Guide for parents booklet – which holds the most important information about our school. Make sure you read through it!
For pupils, we recommend they have a look at:
How can parents and carers help?
Making that leap from primary to secondary school is exciting, but can be daunting at the same time. There are a few things you as parents and carers could make a start on at home, to make that transition a little less scary.
· As part of your daily exercise, practice the journey to and from school, biking or walking, deciding the best route to take, and become familiar and confident with this.
· Become familiar with a meeting place for getting picked up after school if necessary. We have over 1500 pupils at school, so meeting a little bit further away from the main site will be best.
· Practice a morning routine; getting up, washed and dressed, having breakfast and making sure they have everything they need. Promoting this independence will really help when starting school.
· Practice budgeting for lunches if your child will be having a school dinner. Have a look at this year’s meal choices and price list together.
· Talk to your child about things they are excited about, but also things they may be nervous or worried about. Reassure them, there are another 359 pupils feeling exactly the same and it is OK to feel like this.
Thursday 7 July 2022 – Induction Day (all day)
Thursday 7 July 2022 – Parental Information Evening ( 6:20pm)
Tuesday 6 September 2022 – School opens from Year 7
For the term dates for the full academic year, please refer to the Wakefield Council website.
Day in the Life of a Pupil
A Day in the Life of a Kettlethorpe pupil video
Preparation for your new lessons at Kettlethorpe High School
Kettlethorpe High School pupils love to read! Here is a list of recommended books to read in preparation for starting your new learning journey at Kettlethorpe High School.
Year 7 Curriculum